Who Am I?

I am...creative, fun, clever, sarcastic, smart, occasionally ignorant and blissfully unaware. I am a person of strong resolve and weak personal bubble. I love to speak my mind, and listen with all my being. I absorb most everything, and feel that everything is information.

I know, I feel, I hear, I listen, I sense, I understand, not everything, and not all at the same time.

Writer by trade, and Counselor by nature. I am attentive, and intuitive, both a gift and curse. I can be right, and hate to be wrong. I am the teddy bear, that will hold our secrets, and the blanket that will protect from fear.

I want change for the better, and always look for places to plant that seed. Most importantly and the bitter-sweet truth...I am Human...don't hold against me...just go with it.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Review: The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo



This book has such a splendid review that I thought, surely it would be an easy read and would be somewhat insightful. At very least I assumed it would present me with a new take on God, and the wonders of spirituality.

This book was horrible.

I can not fathom why it has such rave reviews by so many people. I can honestly say that NO ONE suggested this book to me, but the my understanding of this book came from the media. This should have been my first clue.

As far as spirituality and God go, this book is incredibly Shallow. The course of the adventure the main character is presented with a wide variety of questionable omens. Majority of the book is about listening to the "Language/Soul of the world". Which is an idea that rings true to me, but the characterization and development that led to this idea were non existent. Morals and Points, were given to you. Bluntly. There was no thought involved, no deeper questioning needed. Santiago is faced with a tough decision, spend twenty pages fretting over it just to have another character tell you your wrong and this is why. Santiago changed his mind in that one paragraph...

Either I missed it or I couldn't tell how old this boy was, but he was INCREDIBLY arrogant, and it seemed to be encouraged by this deity/spiritualness. He felt that he had more experience, after one trip to the desert then that of a grown man who had lived three times the life of the boy. I did not like the main character.

The ending was Morally Questionable...thats all I'm going to say.

I know somethings get lost in translation, but the writing style was not the only thing that seems to have suffered.

Save yourself the couple of hours don't read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment