Who Am I?

I am...creative, fun, clever, sarcastic, smart, occasionally ignorant and blissfully unaware. I am a person of strong resolve and weak personal bubble. I love to speak my mind, and listen with all my being. I absorb most everything, and feel that everything is information.

I know, I feel, I hear, I listen, I sense, I understand, not everything, and not all at the same time.

Writer by trade, and Counselor by nature. I am attentive, and intuitive, both a gift and curse. I can be right, and hate to be wrong. I am the teddy bear, that will hold our secrets, and the blanket that will protect from fear.

I want change for the better, and always look for places to plant that seed. Most importantly and the bitter-sweet truth...I am Human...don't hold against me...just go with it.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Warlock by Michael Scott



Taking place in the modern world, among blue tooth, rock stars, and laptops, ancient wonders walk the world. Michael Scott introduced us to Sophie and Josh, who met Nicholas and Perenell Flamel in San Fracisco. This starts them on a journey that ignites their Gold and Silver Auras (of Legend!!!) and forces them to face off against many evil and deceptive characters. Their trust in the Flamels even begins to waver as we go through history in these novels.

One of my favorite aspects of this novel is the Magic system that Scott has created. Auras are no unique idea but seeing them roll off of each person and shape themselves into their spells, touched with a personalized scent, is a wonderful touch. Colored auras lend themselves to the uniqueness of each character, including Perenell whose own aura can shift colors from its clean white so that it protects her from connection to the spirit world. Sometimes I wonder what my smell would be, and I think it would be connected to the color of Aura that I would have. I am not sure what Color my aura would be but something calm and comforting, perhaps a sea green, and mixed with the smell of Rosemary...? I like it.

Me being the mythology buff that I am, I love the way he pulls any and every unsuspecting character into play. Elders, who are the Gods and Goddesses of Old, employ the use of Human Immortals who do their will on (or I should say in) the Earth Shadowrealm. You see characters such as Nicolas Flamel, but also Machiavelli, John Dee (who I may be one of the few who knew who he was before these novels = Nerd Points!) and even the likes of Virgina Dare and Billy The Kid.

The flow of the story is Atypical as well, blending the lines between good and evil. Scott, and all of his characters, very clearly state that some of the Elders are Dark Elders, and these are the ones that the "Bad" guys, like Dee and Machiavelli serve. However, there are those like the Flamels who serve no elders, and the people who are seemingly above or beyond other elders. Some characters are merely a mix of technology and Elder Aura....but yet they have more knowledge and power then the arrogant elders. The story is woven in a very non normal pattern but it forces the readers to give attention to both sides and not invest in who the author says is the good guys, which is very refreshing.

I can't say much more without breaching my NO SPOILERS rule, out of pure excitement. I don't want to wait for the Enchantress...but it is what it is.

Looking for a new series to read? Found one!

No comments:

Post a Comment