Who Am I?

I am...creative, fun, clever, sarcastic, smart, occasionally ignorant and blissfully unaware. I am a person of strong resolve and weak personal bubble. I love to speak my mind, and listen with all my being. I absorb most everything, and feel that everything is information.

I know, I feel, I hear, I listen, I sense, I understand, not everything, and not all at the same time.

Writer by trade, and Counselor by nature. I am attentive, and intuitive, both a gift and curse. I can be right, and hate to be wrong. I am the teddy bear, that will hold our secrets, and the blanket that will protect from fear.

I want change for the better, and always look for places to plant that seed. Most importantly and the bitter-sweet truth...I am Human...don't hold against me...just go with it.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Book Review: The Lost Gate



Danny North is a powerless child in a family of Gods. Or so it would seem. These God's don't have as much power as they think they should, and Danny isn't nearly as powerful as they think.

Orson Scott Card is one of those prolific authors that I avoided for along time just because I sensed Mass Market Stereotypical Stories. However, at least with this book I was wrong. His portrayal of the Gods of old was quiet intriguing. Combining mythology and comic book explanations, Card creates and world where it worked.

He hinges everything upon this Rainbow bridge, the Bifrost, or as he calls them Gates. These gates act as invisible portals to a select group of those that can sense, create, open, close, and/or eat them. 1600 years ago, not-the-original-Loki, vanished taking with him all of the gates, and now gate mages, already feared as tricksters are all but banned. Most are killed when their powers develop. Yet Danny has gotten along well, because he didn't know and apparently most of his family is far enough removed from the idea that they never suspected it.

As Danny explores the world, he meets many very interesting characters each with a true psychology of their own. Those, who have powers, have personalities similar to the idea of their natural connection as well. The characters are very believable, and they are very true to their powers.

The Plot is calm and exciting enough to keep momentum as you breeze through the book. It is not one that has an EPIC climax where you are hinged at the edge of your seat for twenty five pages. This book is one long journey that has enough twists to keep you traveling easily, and pleased all the while.

All in all, it may not have been enough for me to explore Card any farther but I'll definitely finish this series.

You should pick it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment